Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Sweetest Coffee in a Long While

Today I went to the hairdresser to finally get those roots bleached. That is, I TRIED to go to the hairdresser - there was a queue of about 20 people waiting already when I arrived. I took a number and went for a little stroll, head up in the clouds and took a while to notice that I'd wandered into a part of my neighborhood that I've avoided so far. Uh-Oh. On second glance, however, the area was just as nice and clean and green as my street and I started wondering, why on earth I'd never been there. I even found the most adorable thrift/vintage interior store ever! Of course I forgot my camera, but I'll go again and take pictures. The owner of the store was absolutely darling, too. When it started to rain and I had to go from window-shopping to inside of the store, he made me a coffee (free!) and even played his guitar and his balalaika for me. At least I think it was a balalaika. I'll find out when I go back.

That little half an hour of sitting on a pale pink 1920s velvet armchair, sipping hot coffee and listening to my personal concert was probably the most relaxing thing I've done in a long while.


And the moral of the story? Be nice to people. Smile at them for no reason at all. They will do amazing things for you, some small, some big, just because. Return the favor.
(I'm making muffins right now to bring one over to the fleamarket tomorrow where I know that said shop owner will be :) )

Oh, and then it took like 3 hours to get my roots done. Seriously. I'm not going to hairdressers who don't make appontments anymore. Duh.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story; it makes me smile just thinking about it. I'd add another lesson that I took from your day:

    Allow other people to do nice things for you without worrying about their motives; it's quite possible they don't have one.

    ReplyDelete